Downey Unified’s Mariachi Program
Join Downey Unified’s Mariachi Program! Mariachi, a Mexican music ensemble, dates back to at least the 1700s, and its unique sound and vocal stylings connect today’s mariachi musicians with Mexican heritage and tradition. The program encourages creativity and builds confidence while engaging students with Mexican culture.
The Downey Unified Mariachi Program is open to all Downey Unified middle and high school students. All participants must sing and play an instrument. There will be performances at various events throughout the year.
This program is broken up into Beginner and Advanced groups. There is no prior mariachi experience required for the Beginner class, but previous participation in Mariachi or demonstrated ability will be required to participate in the Advanced class.
Classes meet on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings during the school year. Most instruments will be provided, but bring your own mariachi instrument if you have one.
If you are interested in applying, make sure to fill out the inquiry form with your information.
- You must attend middle or high school in Downey Unified School District.
- All Mariachi must sing AND play and instrument.
- The Mariachi classes are Tuesdays and Wednesdays during the school year.
- Beginner classes are 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm
- Advanced classes meet from 7:30 pm – 9:00 pm.
- Please note, only high school students will earn course credit.
- You are responsible for transportation to and from campus.
- You must come prepared to class (water, comfortable clothes, snacks, music, instrument, etc.).
- You must have a positive attitude and be ready to learn!
Students interested in participating must fill out the form below.
Want to Hire the Mariachi for Your Next Event?
Please fill out the form below and we will get back to you.