Student Enrollment Requirements
1. IDENTIFICATION OF ENROLLING PARENT/GUARDIAN
Identification of Enrolling Parent/Guardian
PHOTO ID – A valid California I.D. or Driver’s License of the parent or guardian with a current street address.
P.O. BOX NUMBERS ARE NOT ACCEPTED (May update your Calif. I.D./D.L. address at www.dmv.ca.gov with no fee).
2. PROOF OF BIRTH
Proof of Birth
STUDENT’S ORIGINAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE – is recommended for school entry for all first time California students. Other recognized proof of age may be presented in the event the birth certificate is not available.
3. PROOF OF RESIDENCY
Proof of Residency
PROOF OF RESIDENCE – All documentation must show the name and address of the parent or legal guardian.
IF YOU OWN OR ARE BUYING YOUR HOME – A CURRENT UTILITY BILL – Gas or Electric only, with the parent/guardian’s name and current street address is required. Disconnect notices are not accepted. (closing escrow papers may be accepted on a recently purchased home when no utility bill is available. (The utility bill will need to be presented within 30 days.)
IF YOU ARE RENTING- A CURRENT UTILITY BILL – Gas or Electric only, with the parent/guardian’s name and current street address is required. Disconnect notices are not accepted. (if recently moved and no utility bill is available a signed rental agreement listing the names of all tenants, name and phone number of the landlord, manager, or property owner may be accepted. The utility bill will need to be presented within 30 days. If Utilities are included it MUST be stated in the Rental Agreement.)
IF YOU LIVE WITH SOMEONE ELSE:
A STATEMENT OF RESIDENCE FORM IS REQUIRED – along with documents which are listed on the backside of the Statement of Residence Form. This form is available at all school sites and the District Office.
4. OTHER ENROLLMENT REQUIREMENTS (one or more may apply)
IMMUNIZATIONS – Grades Transitional Kindergarten–12th, under age 19 must show proof of all required immunizations.
- IF ENTERING FROM A PREVIOUS CALIFORNIA SCHOOL: The official yellow California immunization record, doctor’s immunization record, or the immunization record from the previous school may be accepted.
- IF ENTERING FROM OUTSIDE OF CALIFORNIA: An official immunization record showing all current immunizations is required.
- TRANSITIONAL KINDERGARTEN STUDENTS: An official immunization record or doctor’s immunization record with the required immunizations. Proof of a dental exam is required. (See Required Health Forms below)
- FIRST TIME KINDERGARTNERS: An official immunization record, a physical exam dated after March 1st of the current school year,and a dental exam one year prior to kindergarten entry dated after September 1st is required.
- REQUIRED HEALTH FORMS:
Transfer papers from the previous school should show the most recent grade level and check-out grades or final grades from the last completed grade level or semester.
If the student is receiving Special Education services, the most recent IEP will need to be provided to the enrolling school for appropriate placement.
Guardianship (When the enrolling party is other than the biological parent)
This process is done by appointment only after all the required documentation has been obtained by the parent and guardian. Please call (562) 469-6553 to schedule an appointment.
Note: The Guardianship Procedure instructions are available at all school sites and at the District Office.
IF SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES PREVENT YOU FROM PROVIDING ANY OF THE ABOVE, CONTACT THE SCHOOL STAFF OR CALL STUDENT SERVICES, DOWNEY UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT, AT (562) 469-6553.
11627 Brookshire Avenue
Downey, CA 90241