The GATE program at Stauffer is designed with two goals in mind.
First, to provide access to the most rigorous courses with highly qualified teachers. Secondly, to provide educational experiences that expose students to local university programs and varied resources in Southern California.
Our GATE students take workshops at the Getty, presidential libraries, museums and local performing arts centers to deepen their understanding of the concepts learned in class. GATE students at Stauffer are supported in both their unique educational and social-emotional needs.
How do I know if my student qualifies?
- Students in the top CASSP testing levels are identified by school site
- Teachers and/or parents can request testing through the GATE Lead at the site if the student meets the top level in CAASSP English/Math testing
- Students take a nationally normed non-verbal reasoning test at the site. If students score 70% or higher on the reasoning test, they move on to the next steps:
- Student GPAs are recorded
- Evidence of the students’ critical thinking skills are gathered from their teachers
- Student Qualification Packet is reviewed by a team of GATE Leads
For more information, email Sara Maples, GATE Lead teacher at firstname.lastname@example.org.