Approximately 130 students at Doty Middle School have been formally identified as students in the Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) Program. These GATE students are identified through analysis of multiple measures of data including state assessment data, grades, and teacher observation. Our GATE students are clustered in groups in classes with highly trained teachers, skilled in differentiating instructional strategies like acceleration, depth and complexity, and novelty.
Our GATE program provides rigorous learning opportunities meant to challenge the thinking processes and learning styles of our GATE students. Additionally, GATE students participate in exciting field trips to colleges and universities, museums, and more.
How do I know if my student qualifies?
- Students in the top CASSP testing levels are identified by school site
- Teachers and/or parents can request testing through the GATE Lead at the site if the student meets the top level in CAASSP English/Math testing
- Students take a nationally normed non-verbal reasoning test at the site. If students score 70% or higher on the reasoning test, they move on to the next steps:
- Student GPAs are recorded
- Evidence of the students’ critical thinking skills are gathered from their teachers
- Student Qualification Packet is reviewed by a team of GATE Leads