Frequently Asked Questions

We are here to help!

If you have any additional questions, don’t hesitate to ask!

catering trays of sandwiches, fruits, and vegetables

Who can get free school meals?

Any student attending Downey Unified.

What does my student need to receive a meal?

Students will need to provide their Student ID number.

Will there also be a la carte items?

Students in secondary grade levels will be able to purchase a la carte items during snack and lunch.

Can I fill out a meal application?

Free and Reduced Meal applications are not necessary to receive a free breakfast and lunch for the 2021-2022 school year.

If meals are free, why do I need to fill out the Supplemental Benefits form?

Because all meals are free this school year, we are replacing our Free and Reduced Meal Application with the Supplemental Program Benefit Form. Public school districts like Downey Unified count on the information provided in Free and Reduced Meal Applications to receive funding from the state and the federal government to better support their low-income students. The Supplemental Program Benefit Form provides a way for our district to still capture that needed information and secure district funding. You will be able to fill out the survey as part of registration. 

Learn more:

I have questions related to Pandemic EBT, or P-EBT

Please call the P-EBT helpline at (877) 328-9677 or visit the P-EBT website at  

Our department is not able to answers any questions related to P-EBT as this program is provided through the California Department of Social Services.

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.