Welcome to our IB French Immersion Program!
Global Language Academies of Downey (G.L.A.D.) is committed to the development of bilingualism, biliteracy, academic achievement, and sociocultural competence for our students.
Our IB French immersion program develops cross-cultural skills that will give your child various advantages for the rest of their lives! It will begin by exposing 4 and 5-year-old students to a second language. By the time students reach 5th grade, students will be literate in two languages.
Benefits of learning French
Career and Travel Opportunities
Embrace a culture of art and academics
- French is a common language in the arts from cooking to dance to architecture. If your child has shown talent in the arts, French may be helpful as they pursue their craft.
- France is home to top global universities, including Sorbonne Universite
Similarities to other languages
- Learning French can be a great starting point for learning other European languages like Italian, Romanian, and Spanish.
What Does This Mean For My Child?
Learning a second language has many benefits. For one, it stimulates the brain to develop higher-level reasoning skills. These skills are also needed for complex critical thinking in math, science, and language arts. Studies also show that children who are educated in two languages have stronger self-esteem.
Another benefit is that students acquire a sense of respect for, and interest in, diﬀerent cultures and the world, broadening their horizons and fueling their interest to learn more about the world around them.
The whole school community, including parents, is viewed as partners in learning and actively contributes to a holistic educational experience.
Understanding the IB Primary Years Programme
Carpenter Elementary G.L.A.D. is recognized as an International Baccalaureate World School. Carpenter follows the IB Primary Years Programme’s three guiding principles (holistic learning, intercultural awareness, and communication), with the goal of developing bi-literate, inquiring, knowledgeable, and caring young people who are motivated to succeed.
The IB programme helps create students who will:
- ask challenging questions
- think critically
- learn across disciplines
- develop research skills proven to help them in higher education
The application window for the 2024-2025 school year is now open until January 31, 2024.
1. Attend a mandatory informational meeting
2. Complete and submit an application
3. Receive an e-mail notification if accepted or waitlisted
4. If accepted, complete online enrollment
Now accepting inter-district permits!
Sign Up for an Informational Meeting!
Meetings are mandatory for new families. All meetings are at 5:30 p.m. through Zoom.
Links will be provided via email after registration. Translation is available.
Phone: (562) 904-3588
RSVP to a Parent Informational Meeting by filling out the form below: